Corporate Liaison and VenturesDescription:
Biosciences Business Development Manager
Become an integral member of a small, busy, and collaborative team dedicated to supporting scientific research. Our focus is on facilitating strategic relationships and alliances-across all of Gladstone's research areas-with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, venture capital firms and foundations. The J. David Gladstone Institutes, a nonprofit biomedical research institute located in San Francisco, CA, is seeking a responsible, resourceful, and team-oriented individual to join its Corporate Liaison and Ventures Department as a Bioscience Business Development Manager.
The Biosciences Business Development Manager will work with the VP and Senior Director of Corporate Liaison & Ventures to manage ongoing business development projects. The person in this position will be mainly responsible for project management, business development, including contract review, creating work/business plans and pitch decks, communication with partners, etc., competitive analyses, maintaining transactional databases, and marketing of technology.
In addition to excellent communication, writing, and organization skills, the successful candidate will operate as an independent professional while embracing a team culture. This position requires the ability to: prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines; interface with various stakeholders; and exercise sound judgment.
Gladstone Perks & Benefits:
• People: work with talented, committed, and supportive teammates within an organization that values each member of its community.
• A meaningful place to grow and learn: whether it's your professional skills or scientific knowledge, we have the resources and environment to advance either so you can better support Gladstone's mission: to drive a new era of discovery in disease-oriented science and to mentor tomorrow's leaders in an inspiring and diverse environment.
• Healthy work/life balance: you are highly engaged and productive at work because you can have time to recharge and enjoy a vibrant life outside of work.
• Compensation: competitive salary and vacation.
• Excellent benefits: generous medical, dental, vision, retirement plan, and commuter benefits; access to free shuttle transportation.
Bioscience Project Management
Communicates with project stakeholders to project components, including: progress on next steps; goal development and progress; coordinating document sharing/ editing; drafting emails and documents; organizing meetings; and/or, performing other related activities. Acting as an interface between scientists and external CRO organizations, as required.
Provide detail-oriented scientific evaluations and translation into commercial opportunities.
Management of the transition of spinout companies.
Biotech Business development
Contract review; contract negotiation; assist in development of translational plans for scientific programs, business plans, pitch decks, etc. as required. Communication and coordination with external parties, attending appropriate business meetings with potential partners.
Building biotech-academic scientific partnerships designed for success
Works with databases and the internet to develop competitive analyses of programs/products/ disease areas. How Gladstone program differs (competitive advantage) and recommendations of how to position versus competition
Market opportunity evaluation
Maintaining transactional databases
Tracking business deals and progress, identifying bottlenecks; communicating with internal stakeholders; faculty engagement; ensuring communication between groups (e.g. business/PI/legal/budgets); facilitating transactions with external parties
Marketing of technologies with interested parties
Other duties as assigned
• PhD Degree in Biological Science or Medical Sciences. MBA or Project Management accreditation preferred.
• 5+ years experience in biomedical research in an academic or industry setting including at least 3 years experience translating early stage research into a fully-funded development program.
• Professional-level verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including excellent grammar, proofreading, and editing skills.
• Detail-oriented self-starter who is resourceful and can, or quickly become able to, work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent organization and independent problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Consistently uses good judgment, lateral thinker, meets tight deadlines, and shows initiative.
• High level of professionalism and accountability.Additional Information:
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.