Kern Medical has been a community cornerstone since its founding in 1867. Today, we are an acute care teaching center with 222 beds, offering the only advanced trauma care between Fresno and Los Angeles. Kern Medical offers a range of primary, specialty, and multi-specialty services including high-risk pregnancy care, inpatient psychiatric services integrated with county mental health programs, and a growing network of outpatient clinics providing personalized patient-centered wellness care. Kern Medical cares for 15,500 inpatients and 125,000 clinic patients a year.
Career Opportunities within Kern Medical include many benefits such as:
- New Hire Bonus: $6,000.00
- Exempt Level Position
- New Hire Premium: +6% of base rate of pay, matched up to 6% if contributed to Deferred Compensation Plan.
- A Comprehensive Benefits Package: includes Holidays, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance.
Position: Clinical Director - Emergency Department
Under general administrative direction responsible for the administration and management of the Emergency Department nursing programs at Kern Medical.
Incumbents in this classification carry senior administrative responsibility for planning and decision making in the Nursing Department. Each Clinical Director will develop, monitor, and have overall responsibility for a broad range of clinical, business, operational and program activities for multiple patient care units or the Emergency Care Center. Excellent communication skills, knowledge of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) principles, commitment to a team management approach and flexibility are essential. All nursing clinical practice shall be evaluated and governed through the Chief Nursing Officer and/or their Registered Nurse designee.
- Ensures that quality patient care is delivered in accordance with Kern Medical's mission and philosophy, and in compliance with all regulatory agencies' standards.
- Supervises, trains, evaluates and participates in the selection of staff and initiates and participates in personnel actions in accordance with the department's human resources practices and procedures and organizational philosophy. Participates in disciplinary action process for subordinate staff.
- Develops annual short and long-term goals and objectives that support Kern Medical's strategic plan.
- Serves as the primary contact with other hospital divisions and outside agencies on matters subject to the Clinical Director's authority.
- Facilitates the development of inter-departmental operating systems and the resolution of problems.
- Mentors and coaches staff in order to develop leadership capable of directing the division's activities.
- Manages operating budget and maintains fiscal control of assigned hospital cost centers.
- Maintains knowledge of legislative activity and regulatory changes which impact the practice of nursing and the operation of nursing service at Kern Medical.
- Develops positive working relationships with physicians and other clinical staff, patients and their families.
- Serves as the chairperson for nursing committees; represents nursing on various hospital committees.
- Provides "house" coverage as required.
- May be required to act in the absence of the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Performs other related job duties as required.
Licensure: Current and clear unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse in California.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree in Nursing, (BSN also preferred, along with relevant certifications). Business or Health Care Administration or other related field AND four (4) years of full-time hospital nursing experience, including two (2) years managing a hospital nursing unit or serving as "house" manager at a health care facility.
Registered Nurse AND six (6) years of full-time hospital nursing experience, including three (3) years managing a hospital nursing unit or serving as "house" supervisor/manager at a health care facility. Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred.
Possession and maintenance of a current American Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) card. Appointees not possessing the BLS card must successfully complete appropriate training and qualify for the BLS card within 60 days of employment.
Employees must maintain all health requirements designated by Kern Medical Center.
Licenses & Certifications