POSITION: Chief Financial Officer/Controller
REPORTS TO: Managing Partner
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
Hagens Berman is an award-winning international team of attorneys representing and protecting the rights of victims of fraud and negligence through consumer protection, antitrust, whistleblower, product liability and other areas of litigation including investor rights, intellectual property, personal injury, environmental harm and employment litigation. In 28 years of practice, Hagens Berman has earned a reputation as one of the most respected plaintiffs' firms in the nation, willing to go above and beyond in the fight for our clients' rights. Our determination and expert skill are second to none in the plaintiffs' bar, and our opponents know our name well.
Founded in 1993, we have grown to more than 80 attorneys, 17 practice areas operating in Seattle, Austin, Berkeley, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, the Netherlands, New York, Phoenix and San Diego. We have recovered more than $320 billion for plaintiffs. The firm's tenacious spirit has earned prestigious awards, including repeatedly being named one of the top 10 plaintiffs' firms in the country.
Landmark cases include Big Tobacco, Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration, Apple E-Books, NCAA Scholarship Cap Antitrust, NCAA Concussions and many more. As a team member of Hagens Berman, you can be proud and inspired by the achievements of the firm on a personal level. Read more about our cases, history, success record and awards. Follow the firm's progress on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
As Chief Financial Officer/Controller (CFO), you will manage the financial operations of the firm and act as a trusted advisor to the Managing Partner. You will maintain accounting records and present financial statements regularly. Leading a two-person finance and accounting team, you will be responsible for safeguarding the firm's financial assets and will partner with a CPA firm on tax reporting, partnership returns, quarterly estimated tax payments and the annual review engagement. Additionally, you will maintain a relationship with banking partners, present cash flow projections and manage lines of credit.
- Act as the financial steward for the company by collecting, analyzing and reporting data, and influencing leadership decisions that allow the company to operate with strong financial health
- Work closely with the managing partner on financial planning and year-end reporting
- Manage the firm's accounting department in the preparation of interim and year-end financial statements for a multi-state LLP, an LLC and Corporation for the managing partner and outside CPA firm
- Maintain an excellent relationship with the firm's attorneys regarding the status of active cases in order to better understand projected fees for settled cases for the subsequent 18 months
- Review the trust accounting for three state bars located in IOLTA (Interest on Lawyers' Trust Accounts) accounts and over 35 class-action litigation fund bank accounts during the distribution of large class action and personal injury settlements funds
- Review the monthly operational overhead costs, including payroll, for multi-state offices
- Tax preparation work to include partner quarterly tax estimate work papers, review of external CPA prepared annual partnership and corporation tax returns, vendor and class action settlement reporting, multi-state secretary of state annual renewal filing, monthly state and local business tax, annual defined contribution retirement plan and quarterly department of labor tax filings
- Maintain the firm relationships with large national and local banks, national business and professional liability insurance carriers, ADP, Lexis Nexis Juris, Thomson Reuters WestlawNext and a national retirement plan investment portfolios trustee
- Collaborate with other department managers, including HR and IT, on projects including employee information required for State AG RFQ's and the researching and implementation of new ERP system
- Oversee both operation funding needs of the company as well as litigation funding for settled class-action cases
- Work with the CPA firm to prepare all required annual K-1 filings for the firm's partners/owners
- Manage/execute foreign currency exchange contracts to minimize currency risk
- Manage multiple competing priorities, adapt as required in the moment, and re-prioritize to ensure the firm is receiving the information, reporting and data needed in a timely manner.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 12+ years of experience with increasing levels of responsibility within a financial and operational accounting function
- Demonstrated experience leading the finance and accounting function at a professional services firm (consulting, law, accounting, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the overall financial performance of the company with a passion for digging into the details and developing efficient processes
- In depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience leading AP/AR/payroll functions
- Experience leading the tax function for a multi-state LLP and LLC.
- Ability to influence financial decision making through presentation of data that is easily understood by non-financial professionals
- Demonstrated executive presence as well as optimism, passion, professionalism, integrity and confidence
- Must possess a solid sense of initiative and drive, a bias toward action and a passion for getting it right
- Must be a strong team player willing to participate in a variety of roles and projects
- Must be flexible and adaptable in a highly dynamic environment
- Ability to communicate and collaborate well at all levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills coupled with outstanding interpersonal skills required
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business-related field required
- CPA preferred
Please send resume and cover letter and include "Controller" in the subject line.