Are you looking for an exciting new position supporting the Navy Seabee mission at the Center for Seabees and Facilities Engineering (CSFE) in Port Hueneme, California? ELS, Inc. a small, employee owned, business that has been providing Program Management, Engineering, Field Engineering, Training and Logistics Support services to the U.S. Navy for over 35 years is looking for a Financial Analyst.
As a Financial Analyst, you will be providing accounting support for the Center for Seabees and Facilities Engineering and surrounding Training support activities. Duties as a Financial Analyst can vary, but typically will include the following:
- Provide professional guidance and recommendation on accounting and financial system matters.
- Advise and assist in the development, analysis, evaluation and improvement of accounting system, procedures, policies and methods. Develop and implement operations procedures and techniques to facilitate the processing of financial matters and assurance of financial integrity.
- Review and process accounting transactions ensuring the propriety and validity of supporting documentation, and determining the appropriate account and methodology for processing.
- Research current accounts, historical data, source documents, etc., to develop and explain detailed information not otherwise readily available. Compiles, analyzes, and summarizes data from systems, documents and reports. Makes suggestions for action, and provides interpretations and suggestions based on a good working knowledge of accounting systems.
- Respond to questions regarding account data, discrepancies and procedures. Researches problems covering all aspects of processing or technical accounting data.
- Prepare draft memoranda or letters responding to inquires or explaining various aspects of their assignments and providing detailed and technical explanations.
- Develop and implement operational procedures and techniques to facilitate the processing of financial data in order to assure financial integrity.
- Reconcile expenditures and collections for validity of postings to the general ledgers. Research and correct suspended expenditures and collections.
- Input obligations and accounts payable transactions into Standard Accounting and Reporting System - Field Level (STARS-FL) and Standard Accounting, Budget, and Reporting System (SABRS). Correct transactions, which failed system, edits from automated B1 inflow of transactions. Validate STARS-FL/SABRS obligations in support of the Tri-annual Review requirements.
- Recommend and prepare Voucher and Schedule of Withdrawal and Credits SF (Standard Form) 1081 documents to transfer erroneous charges to the correct Line of Accounting (LOA). Initiate with Defense Finance and Accounting offices (DFAS) SF 1081 corrections, and validate that corrections have occurred
- Work with BUPERS Military Pay Navy (MPN) and/or Operation and Maintenance Navy (OMN) accounting sections to research and coordinate obligations or corrections of disbursement transactions in order to resolve suspended transactions from the unmatched disbursement files or the bulk expenditure postings.
- Provide footnotes and analysis of abnormal balances from SABRS Management Analytical Retrieval Tool System (SMARTS).
- Monitor and coordinate corrections with activities concerning reimbursable discrepancies.
- Provide customer service to other navy activities in researching problem disbursements and collections, reimbursable issues and funding issues. Liaison with DFAS in direct support of activities efforts to clear issues.
- Provide accounting advice on policy and procedures.
- Provide weekly progress reports as required.
- Trains as needed on STARS-FL, SABRS, and accounting procedures.
- Recommend solutions to Operation and Maintenance Navy (O&M.N) interface issues and processing procedures.
- Reconcile OMN account expenditures and collections to the correct LOA and verify all transactions are supported by accurate source documents.
- Reduce problem disbursement as a result of researching efforts and correction of suspended transactions.
- Ensure obligations are posted promptly into STARS-FL/SABRS along with reconciling obligations to feeder systems.
- Ensure items posting to the bulk document are transferred to the correct standard document number.
- Ensure monthly and semi-annual financial reports are reconciled with footnotes provided for abnormal balances.
- Ensure funding documents are accurately recorded in the various financial systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of STARS-FL experience
- 2 years of SABRS.
- Knowledge of STARS-FL including knowledge of an extensive body of accounting procedures and methods to process the most difficult accounting transactions and to trace discrepancies with the general legers
- Knowledge of accounting methods in order to validate, reconcile, balance and adjust records and reports.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with demonstrated knowledge of research systems such as:
- Automated Voucher System (AVC)
- Defense Travel System (DTS) Obligations and Expenditures Management System
- Cash History On-Line Operator Search Engine (CHOOSE)
- Defense Cash Accountability System (DCAS)
- Defense Personal Property System (DPS)
- Electronic Document Access (EDA)
- Windows Integrated Travel System (WINIATS)
- Knowledge of Navy terminology
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use Microsoft office products
Work Status: Full Time
Work Location: Port Hueneme, California
Become an employee owner at ELS a rapidly growing small business making a difference. ELS is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Powered by JazzHR