Job Title: Lead Preschool Teacher
Reports To: Early Childhood Education Program Manager
Location: San Francisco (Portola and Excelsior)
Compensation: $25.50 - $28.50 per hour, based on experience. Non-exempt and 40 hours per week full-time position. Excellent benefits package includes employer paid medical, dental, and vision. Benefits package also includes vacation, sick leave, holiday pay, flexible spending account, and paid lunch break.
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to with job title in the subject line. Only resumes with cover letters will be reviewed. No phone calls or recruiters.
Family Connections Centers is seeking an experienced lead preschool teacher for a thriving multicultural Family Resource Center with locations in the Portola and Excelsior neighborhoods of San Francisco. The Lead Preschool Teacher is responsible for leading the preschool program, working closely with their co-teacher, substitutes, trainees, consultants, and families to develop and nurture each child's social, emotional, physical, and cognitive skills necessary for kindergarten readiness. The Lead Preschool Teacher maintains current knowledge of the field and works within the licensing requirement and staffing ratio.
The Pre-K program operates in a newly remodeled classroom equipped with new furniture, toys, materials, and supplies. The classroom is warm, bright, well ventilated and equipped with its own kitchen and restrooms for the children.
Highlights - Essential Functions:
- Programs - Children, Families, and Safety.
- Ensure the curriculum covers a spectrum of learning areas including: Language and Early Literacy, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts, Health & Safety, Personal and Social Development and Physical Development.
- Ensure program and classroom follows licensing compliance requirements and mandatory assessment standards including ECERs, CLASS, QRIS, and other tools.
- Provide oversight of daily operation of the classroom, including overall safety, accident and illness prevention, positive interactions and productive educational activity.
- Plan and implement an age-appropriate program which addresses individual, small and large group needs of preschool children including fieldtrips.
- Coordinate and provide semi-annual teacher-parent conferences, DRDP-PS, ASQ, and orientation for prospective and incoming families.
- Maintain effective relationships and communications with families.
- Develop and maintain a positive and confidential relationship with parents/caregivers of every child, including thorough communication about program and child's progress.
- Coordinate and provide outreach to community partners and vendors for services, including screenings with nurse consultant and extracurricular program activities.
- Follow mandatory reporting requirements for suspicion of child abuse or neglect, and record-keeping of injuries or accidents.
Staffing and Supervision:
- Model and ensure professional standards of communications within classroom, agency and with community partners/vendors.
- Conduct coaching and provide oversight of teachers, substitute teachers, interns, and volunteers, in accordance with agency policies and applicable laws.
- Support teachers with their work schedules coordination and scheduling of substitute teachers for work coverage needs.
Record Keeping and Other Responsibilities:
- Conduct ongoing evaluation, documentation, and observation notes of children to create individualized portfolios and information sharing with parents/caregivers, for referrals, and partnering schools.
- Maintain records for each participant/child following licensing, agency and grant requirements.
- Creates and distribute monthly program newsletter, calendar, and curriculum.
- Monitor, maintain, and order necessary inventory within approved budget.
- Participate in staff meetings, in-service trainings, consultations, and professional development workshops.
- Provide data entry and updating data information in agency and funder databases.
- Perform other duties and ad hoc projects as needed or requested by supervisor.
- BA with 24 ECE/CD units including core courses (child/human growth & development; child/family/community or child/family relations; and programs/curriculum); 6 units administration; 2 units supervision required.
- Site Supervisor Permit or Director Permit required.
- Bilingual in English and Cantonese or English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a preschool teacher, plus minimum of 2 years of experience in a management position supervising staff.
- Experience working effectively in diverse, multilingual communities of staff and participants.
- Collaborative and self-directed, with the ability to work well in teams and independently.
- Confident and respectful classroom management skills and approach.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including listening skills.
- Professional ethics of confidentiality, discretion, and good judgment.
- Proficiency with full Microsoft suite and experience with database useful.
- Experience working in a remote workspace, with agility to move from on-site to remote.
- LiveScan Clearance and physical health/TB clearance required to be maintained throughout employment.
This job operates in a professional classroom and office environment, and functions in a hybrid work environment, with some staff/programs occurring remote and/or on-site. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 25 pounds and on occasion may require lifting/carrying a child or object up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Family Connections Centers is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect.
We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.