When applying, please submit your resume, a cover letter and salary requirements.
Announcement - Litigation Legal Secretary Openings
Hoge Fenton is a multi-service law firm headquartered in Silicon Valley providing legal services in a broad range of areas of law. We are recruiting for two full-time litigation legal secretaries. These positions will be located in our San Jose office. The primary responsibilities are to perform secretarial and administrative duties to support attorneys and paralegals, including preparing various legal documents such as briefs, motions, complaints and general correspondence.
· Creates, formats, proofreads, and edits drafts of documents including administrative correspondence and all forms of litigation documents.
· Schedules and reserves dates for hearings with California State and Federal Courts.
· Formats and prepares documents for filing, including Table of Contents and Table of Authorities, and files and serves legal documents in State, Federal, and Appellate Courts (knowledge of e-filing and e-service is required.)
· Maintains attorney calendars; schedules conferences and meetings; schedules, calculates, records and monitors court appearance dates and associated deadlines; calendars depositions and discovery deadlines.
· Invoice reviewing and processing
· Responsible for profiling documents into ProLaw (document management system)
· Communicates with clients, courts, opposing counsel, and other parties by phone, electronically, and in writing
· Organize exhibits, documents, evidence, briefs and appendices
· Opens new matters promptly in accordance with firm policies and procedures
· Closes matters without delay in accordance with firm policies and procedures
· Maintains client and administrative files in accordance with firm policies and procedures
· Backs up other secretaries when needed
· Assists with other duties as assigned
A successful candidate with have the following education, experience and skills:
· High School education or equivalent required. Associates' or Bachelor's degree preferred
· Minimum of three years in the legal secretarial field. Legal Secretary Certificate from ABA accredited school preferred
· 3+ years of litigation calendaring and court filing experience required
· Applicable knowledge of motions, discovery, evidence, litigation documentation, court rules and procedures, practices, etc.
· Strong skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
· Familiarity with legal calendaring and related concepts
· Proficient in e-filing in State, Federal, and Appellate Courts
· Strong word processing skills, especially vis-à-vis litigation document formatting
· Proofreading skills
· Keen attention to detail
· Ability to prioritize, multitask and manage deadlines
· Ability to think critically and analytically in a pressured environment
· Ability to handle the workload for three or more attorneys and/or paralegals
· Works efficiently and effectively using the firm's systems, software, and procedures
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interface with attorneys, clients, vendors, court personnel and other staff members
· Practices and fosters an atmosphere of teamwork and cooperation; ability to work productively and cooperatively with other employees
· Ability to constantly learn new skills as they become necessary
- Essentially a sedentary position
- May be required to travel to other work locations for meetings, document production and/or trial
- Normal effort of general office work typically including bending, moving and lifting up to 25 pounds; working at computer terminals and telephones
Hoge Fenton has a strong commitment to diversity. We strive to recruit and retain a work force that welcomes and supports the interests of women, families, and people of any age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, or military or veteran status. Our environment is collegial, collaborative, flexible, and supportive.
Please note that Hoge Fenton requires that all employees who physically enter the workplace be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. In the event of a legal exemption from vaccination, reasonable accommodation will be considered.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary expectation to .