Kern Medical has been a community cornerstone since its founding in 1867. Today, we are an acute care teaching center with 222 beds, offering the only advanced trauma care between Fresno and Los Angeles. Kern Medical offers a range of primary, specialty, and multi-specialty services including high-risk pregnancy care, inpatient psychiatric services integrated with county mental health programs, and a growing network of outpatient clinics providing personalized patient-centered wellness care. Kern Medical cares for 15,500 inpatients and 125,000 clinic patients a year.
- Per Diem employees supplement department staffing needs, with no guarantee of minimum hours.
- Per Diem minimum scheduling expectation is four (4) shifts per month.
Position: Per Diem Nursing Shift Manager - Shift
- Interprets hospital policies and procedures for staff and monitors compliance; ensures that nursing units operate in a manner consistent with policies of the Nursing Department and Kern Medical.
- Serves as a resource for hospital staff and as a clinical resource for Nursing staff in providing nursing care to patients; advises Nursing Unit Managers on significant issues, concerns and occurrences on the unit.
- Works closely with members of the medical staff to facilitate inter-departmental communication and problem-solving.
- Evaluates staffing needs on each unit and adjusts staff assignments hospital-wide as required to meet changing need; assists in evaluation of staff and may recommend disciplinary action.
- Performs patient care in emergency situations as required.
- Serves as Kern Medical's representative with visitors, other providers, media representatives and the general public.
- May serve on Nursing Department committees or hospital-wide committees.
- Dependent upon area of practice or department assignments, demonstrates clinical knowledge and skill in the care of the newborn, infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient ranging up to 100+ years of age.
- Performs other job related duties as required.
Registration: Current California license as a Registered Nurse.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university AND Three (3) years of paid full-time hospital experience as a Registered Nurse. Qualifying experience must be attained within the past five (5) years.
Five (5) years of hospital experience as a Registered Nurse, including one (1) year in a charge nurse or leadership role for a specific function, e.g., education, safety, quality management, research and/or policy development. Qualifying experience must be attained within the past seven (7) years.
Depending on assignment incumbents may be required to possess and maintain specific certificates of competency as a condition of employment.
Possession and maintenance of a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) card. Appointees not possessing the BLS card must successfully complete appropriate training and qualify for the BLS card within 60 days of employment.
Knowledge of: The principles, practices and methods of patient care delivery systems; principles of effective personnel management; principles of in-service training for professional and allied nursing personnel; development, application and uses of nursing records, reports and statistics; modern hospital organization, practices, supplies and equipment.
Ability to: Plan, organize, coordinate and assist in directing nursing services for a large general hospital; analyze and respond to crisis situations, decide effective courses of action and work calmly and effectively with individuals and surrounding circumstances in each situation encountered; evaluate and assess professional and allied nursing personnel; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Supplemental: A background check may be required for this classification.
All Kern Medical employees are designated Disaster Service Workers . In the event of a disaster or civil disorder, all Kern Medical employees are to remain at work or to report to work in a safe and practicable manner.
If position responsibilities require driving a personal vehicle, then possession of a current valid California Driver's License and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.
If position responsibilities require driving a vehicle owned, leased or rented by Kern Medical, then possession of a current valid California Driver's license, a signed authorization for Release of Drivers Record Information and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.