Get your hands on the interface that millions of people use every single day
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
With so many people using our products globally, we've become well-known for products that "just work" right out of the box and integrate almost by magic. That doesn't happen by accident, which is why we are committed to making sure our products aren't just intuitive, they're obvious. To support that commitment, the Roku Voice team focuses on a seamless voice-assistant experience for our users. Our goal is to help them find what they want and make it easier for people to stream. We accomplish this using state of the art technology and engineering to make it happen, with consideration for the customer as the center of all that we do.
We are looking for a top-notch Senior Machine Learning Engineer with a background in one or more of the following areas: Spoken Language Understanding, Natural Language Understanding, Machine Learning/ Deep Learning, Dialog and Conversational systems. In this role, you will have the opportunity to build state-of-the-art algorithms and models to improve the ability to understand users' voice queries.
You will be joining a talented, high-performance team with a history of building cutting edge technology and delivering it. We are looking for someone who get can conceive a radical idea/solution to some of the toughest problems in the area of Spoken Language Understanding, someone who can think out-of-the-box, has the perseverance to take it from an experiment to production-readiness and is passionate about making state-of-the-art technology reachable and accessible to people.
What you'll be doing
- Propose innovative ideas, explore and run experiments to come up with state-of-the-art techniques to improve the accuracy of the Roku Spoken Language Understanding system
- Conceive, design, prototype, and evaluate complex algorithms, deep learning and statistical models that can be integrated into a production grade system
- Collaborate with the engineering and product teams to launch research ideas into a Roku product release
- Document your work and sharing ideas and findings via internal wikis, design documents, and slide presentations
- Generate intellectual property with patent applications and publications at relevant forums
- Stay current on published state-of-the-art techniques for Natural Language Understanding, Spoken Language Understanding and Conversational Systems
We're excited if you have
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Linguistics or related
- 5+ years industry experience in software development and building machine learning/deep learning models
- Strong track record of developing novel and scientifically sound solutions to solve real world problems
- Strong appetite for applied research, exploration, quick prototyping, offline and online experimentation with a goal towards production readiness.
- Practical experience in one or more of the following areas: spoken language understanding, natural language understanding, machine learning, deep learning, dialog and conversational systems.
- Solid programming skills in Python/Java/C++, and/or scripting languages in a Unix environment
- Basic working experience with micro-services and cloud technologies.
- Practical experience with cleaning, manipulating, and analyzing large data sets
- Strong oral and written skills
- Ability to thrive as a self-driven employee who can follow tasks from conception to production
Our unique culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.