About Juniper Square
Our mission is to make the world's private capital markets more efficient, transparent, and accessible. Privately owned assets like commercial real estate make up half of our financial ecosystem yet remain inaccessible to most people. We are digitizing these markets and as a result bringing access to millions who don't currently benefit from one of the most productive corners of our financial ecosystem. If you care about making the world a better place by making markets work better through technology-all while contributing as a member of a values-driven organization-we want to hear from you. We've doubled our team in each of the past four years while maintaining an excellent culture and staying true to our values. We are well-funded and building for the long-term. We need YOU to help us achieve our mission.
Juniper Square invests in a hybrid workforce and we offer three work modes: full time remote work from your home office, a hybrid of home and office work from one of our office hubs, currently in San Francisco and Austin, or full time work in an office hub. The company headquarters is in the Cloud and we invest in digital-first operations. We have communities of remote employees across the US and Canada, with more substantive local remote working communities in Seattle, Denver, Chicago and New York, but we are open to employees working in several states and provinces. We are happy to share with interested applicants where and how we work.
Read more about the team, culture, and recent projects on our Engineering Blog.
Juniper Square serves two sides of the private capital markets, the investment managers (GPs) and the investors (LPs). The network and fundraising tracks aim at improving the experience of investors of all sizes. We delight customers by automating laborious and time-consuming backoffice and providing useful data analysis, visualization and exports of data for investors.
This amplifies the toolset we provide on the Fundraising track which enables a seamless experience in managing all aspects of the fundraising lifecycle including investor communication streamlining, document and relationship management/automation and process efficacy analytics.
On the engineering side, some of the challenges we focus on are parallelization and automation of tasks, re-architecting of our components to allow for scaling and autonomy of action as well as rethinking our data models to account for the growing complexity of investor relationships while retaining strict security / privacy compliance.About Your Role
As a staff software engineer at Juniper Square, you will be primarily a technical leader, identifying and acting on opportunities to increase the efficiency, stability and consistency of the engineering team. Other responsibilities could include leading an engineering team and collaborating closely with product, design, and QA teams to build and deliver delightful user experiences, making complex workflows simple and intuitive.
You will be leading efforts to instill and iterate on engineering best practices, ensuring a healthy codebase, ultimately leveling up the team.Specifically, You Will
- Provide backend-focused technical leadership, leveling up existing team members and helping build high-performance teams
- Position our backend infrastructure, both application-related and devops-related, for success as we transition from a startup to an organization
- Actively seek opportunities to improve our platform and developer experience and own those initiatives through execution
- Implement and ensure best practices across the teams to maximize developer productivity
- Own the long-term vision of key focus areas such as our evolution towards service-oriented architecture, our build-and-deploy processes, and code quality initiatives
- Contribute directly through defining and building necessary frameworks, optimizing system performance, conducting code reviews, and participating in architecture and system design discussions
- Actively monitor and address production issues
- Write high-quality code that is well-tested, secure, and maintainable
- Lead the development of complex workflows, working with both frontend and backend engineers and cross-functional partners
- Mentor other engineers and designers across the company on best practices for backend development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years of experience building web-based using modern MVC frameworks
- Expertise in Python or other server-side web application development languages
- Experience with SQL database schema design and query optimization
- Experience with GraphQL is a plus
- You must be flexible and adaptable-you will be operating in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Health, dental, and vision care for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation policy and paid holidays
- Generous paid family leave, medical leave, and bereavement leave policies
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Healthcare FSA and commuter benefits programs
- Freedom to customize your work and technology setup as you see fit
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly work from home wellness stipend while we're all remote
- Mental wellness coverage including live coaching and therapy sessions
- Home office productivity allowance to help create an ideal work from home setup
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you've just read! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Juniper Square's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways - not just candidates who check all the boxes.