Transfer Center Coordination Manager
Bargaining Unit: Mid-Management
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) months
Responsible for the management of transfer coordination and nursing practices at Kern Medical during an assigned shift.
Incumbents in this classification serve as manager and resource person for the Nursing and other hospital departments during an assigned shift, providing clinical and administrative leadership to nursing staff. This position coordinates patient care needs by facilitating patient placement in the appropriate nursing unit utilizing pre-established criteria and consulting with members of the interdisciplinary team. This position manages the patient transfer process for the hospital, receives and processes requests for transfers of higher level of care from outlying medical facilities and Kern Medical.
- Manages and provides oversight of all transfer requests from referring physicians, providing framework, coordination, and direction for the systemic monitoring of transfers and direct admissions in and out of Kern Medical.
- Directs referring physicians with appropriate service line specialists and works in collaboration with the Nurse Shift Manager for bed assignments and priority patient placement.
- Facilitates and assists with transfers out of Kern Medical for higher level of care as needed.
- Performs telephonic patient triage, prioritizes patient information, and communicates clinical presentation of the patient to accepting and consulting physicians and nurses.
- Serves as a resource for hospital staff and as a clinical resource for nursing staff in providing nursing care to patients; advises Nursing Unit Managers on significant issues, concerns and occurrences on the unit.
- Works closely with members of the medical staff to facilitate inter-departmental communication and problem-solving. Serves as Kern Medical's representative with visitors, other providers, media representatives and the general public.
- May serve on Nursing Department committees or hospital-wide committees.
- Coordinates and assists with ground and air transport for other clinics and hospitals as needed.
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager of the Nurse Staffing Office, manages the daily activities of the office services team in the nurse staffing office in regards to transfer coordination and staffing issues.
- Contributes to subordinate employee evaluation process, interview/hiring, and coaching for office services staff. Complies with human resource policies, procedures and practices. Ensures personnel actions comply with current practices and MOU language.
- Interprets hospital policies and procedures for staff and monitors compliance; ensures that nursing units operate in a manner consistent with policies of the Nursing Department and Kern Medical.
- Performs patient care in emergency situations as required.
- Monitors hospital compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates frequently with Emergency Department (ED), Inpatient units and Nurse Shift Manager to keep all team members abreast of possible admissions and transfers.
- Collaborates with the Hospital Shift Manager to resolve bed availability challenges.
- Consults with the Hospital Shift Manager, Nursing leadership, and On-Call Administrator for complex transfers.
- Authorizes all external transfers for Universal Inpatient Assigned (IPA) patients in outlying hospitals.
- Evaluates criteria of patient placements using InterQual guidelines
- Communicates with payers via Case Management for confirmation of approval for incoming transfers for all inpatient to inpatient transfers.
- Reviews team documentation for completeness and accuracy and conducts quality reviews.
- Creates reports from patient transfer data such as volumes and outcomes. Documents and reports on timeliness of patient placement activities and concerns related to throughput to leadership.
- Collects, analyzes, evaluates and summarizes data from referring hospitals, physicians and clinics regarding bed utilization.
- Cross trains and functions as a Hospital Shift Manager when needed.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Registration: Valid unrestricted Registered Nurse license issued by the State of California
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university. AND Three (3) years of paid full-time hospital experience as a Registered Nurse, including one (1) year in a charge nurse or leadership role for a specific function, e.g., education, safety, quality management, research, and/or policy development. Qualifying experience must be attained within the past five (5) years.
Five (5) years of hospital experience as a Registered Nurse, including one (1) year in a charge nurse or leadership role for a specific function, e.g., education, safety, quality management, research and/or policy development. Qualifying experience must be attained within the past seven (7) years.
Five (5) years of hospital experience as a Registered Nurse, in case management/utilization review. Qualifying experience must be attained within the past seven (7) years.
- Working knowledge of Excel and proven computer skills
- Experience in bed control coordination in an acute hospital (preferred), or charge RN level floor management with bed placement understanding.
- Knowledge and understanding of EMTALA Regulations
- Knowledge of Cerner preferred (PowerChart, FirstNet).
- Multi-task and proven organizational skills.
- Demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness and analytical skills in organizing and prioritizing patient data to expedite critical transfers in and out of Kern Medical.
- Be sensitive to nursing and department needs while also fulfilling patient and hospital needs.
- Communicate in a professional manner. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work with little supervision.
A background check may be required for this classification.
All Kern Medical employees are designated Disaster Service Workers . In the event of a disaster or civil disorder, all Kern Medical employees are to remain at work or to report to work in a safe and practicable manner.
If position responsibilities require driving a personal vehicle, then possession of a current valid California Driver's License and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.
If position responsibilities require driving a vehicle owned, leased or rented by Kern Medical, then possession of a current valid California Driver's license, a signed authorization for Release of Drivers Record Information and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.